Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Mama Mia! Here I go again :)


I told myself time and time again after each climb up Kinabalu that it was going to be my last. Well, I have only done it twice so I shouldn't be complaining. My girlfriend called me mental when I said to her " It's good to be home " on my second climb. I can totally understand how she feels. Mount Kinabalu has given me plenty of satisfaction and also a huge amount of pain. I did it in 2010 & 2011. Skipped it on 2012 and intead, went off to conquer the Pinnacles with a few good friends and experience my first Volcanic climb up Rinjani with a bunch of strangers, something I have never done before. One of the best experience ever. I made many new friends! In 2013, I have yet to climb any mountain. I was supposed to earlier, but it never happened.

I fly into Kota Kinabalu often and each time, the first thing that greets me when I look out the aeroplane is the view of the peak. Same goes when I step foot out from the airport. Since then, I have missed it so. I knew that I'll visit it again someday but just didn't know when. I have plenty of choice on what I want to do or where I want to go this year but why am I doing it again, so soon and all of a sudden? It is in my nature to follow my gut instincts. I knew about Coalition Duchenne last year but not until recently did I want to find out more about what it stands for. I found out plenty. It is all over the net. You can watch one of the links on YouTube. Click " Dusty's Trail Summit Of Borneo ". The documentary won 5 awards but it is not the acclaimations that impressed me the most but the strength and dedication of a women and a mother towards her child. I have a son who is 6 right now. I can identify with her love, her fear and her hope for her child as a mother. That is the age when Dusty, Catherine's firstborn was diagnose with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. He is 20 years old at the moment and his mother has been going tirelessly around with the help of many to do research and create awareness of this debilitating disease. 

I have yet to meet her but I already like her. The fact that her grandmother is a Malaysian Kadazandusun and her choice in using Sabah as one of her platforms to bridge this gap and to bring humanity together for a cause that is dear to her heart, makes me want to be a part of this wonderful intention. A truly inspiring lady that I am looking forward to learn from. A good friend told me recently that he was happy to have been able to spare time, effort and money on me when I thanked him for his generosity. According to him, that is the greatest pleasure one can do for another. I was touched beyond words because I know it is the truth. Kindness is its own reward. Meeting wonderful individuals like these, always makes me want to continue paying it forward.

What's going to happen on my 3rd climb next month? I don't know. Will I be third time lucky and be at the peak with the rest? I hope so. I really want to. Nothing beats that amazing feeling..but then again, I thought to myself last night. Whatever the outcome, I have achieved what I intended to do.That was when my fear, my anticipation and my expectations started dissipating slowly. A good night sleep I had and the best part is, I knew that today is as good as any day to start doing what I do best! Time to start training and stay positive :)

No comments:

Post a Comment