Saturday, May 18, 2013

P - SSNC ( I hear them sing for me and you )


I love the colour green. I love trees. I am a tree hugger. My best friend thinks I am nuts for doing so, but I know better. Some people just finds it weird but hey, everyone's unique in their own way. That's what makes us special. Thus, WEIRD in a funny way is how the ONEs I care for, defines me.
I have a favourite tree everywhere that I call HOME. I live out of a suitcase you see, so there's quite a few, mind you. I learnt at a very young age to derive comfort, strength and patience from trees. They keep me sane. They are so cool, calm and collected. I always feel at peace when I am in their company. People say, home is where the heart is. Being around trees during my trips away, keeps me from missing my loved ones. Alone with myself with a good book in my hands, I sit and read. The trees bend to caress me and the shade hugs my heart. Chewah! Sounds romantic isn't it? But that's exactly how good it makes me feel!

I also used to bring my dogs for a walk those days and we would sit and rest under a tree or two and now, I have my son with me. I am slowly introducing him to the wonders and beauty of nature. When I am sad and I have no one to talk to, I'll share my secrets with the trees. Believe me when I say that besides your pets, these trees are the best! Not only are they good listeners but also the most gracious host. I am sure everyone has a history with one tree or another. I for one have PLENTY. When I die, the best farewell gift anyone can give me is to plant a tree and you'll know, that I will be smiling all the way, to wherever I am meant to be.

Nature is my best teacher. The fact that not all trees or plants are the same and the fact that it has different functions as well as benefits speaks volume about the abundance of diversity that we are surrounded by.. Even weeds can be useful. It depends on how one looks at it. It got me thinking. When I am sad and lost or confused, I have always turned to nature for some soul searching. When I see weeds taking over a certain part of a beautiful garden, I am reminded of idiots living amongst us, trying their very best to pollute us with their ugliness, spreading their seeds far and wide. I am not worried, because I know people who tend to their gardens well will be steadfast in ensuring that it is removed. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to do so, but when it is done out of love, the effort will be repaid tenfold. Not only does it bring self satisfaction to the caretaker itself, the beauty of it will speak for itself! Others will see it for what it is, embrace what goodness it has to offer and will want to have it as part of their lives.

A little plant growing out of some tiny cracks on a wall or cement floor, will remind me of survival. Wild flowers blooming in the most unlikely places tells me that no matter how irrelevant some think others are, it does still serve a purpose by perhaps beautifying a particular spot. Most importantly, seeing something pretty out of the blue does gets one's heart dancing! You can never know. A nobody like you might end up being the best antidote to brighten up someone else's day. You might even end up saving a life by merely existing! That's how life is like and you know what? Nature has taught us all that and more since day one. If only you'll get a little closer and get to know it better.

A lot of people know a lot. Unfortunately many understand little. I was on the highway two days ago from my hotel in Taipei to Taoyuan International Airport. It's a long journey. Most of the time, we were passing by buildings, ugly concretes with no colours except for some beige and whites. The only reason I can think of is, no point having colours on them as it is an earthquake prone country. Sad but true. I felt emotional all of a sudden and turned away to continue watching the movie that was shown on the bus. My mind was elsewhere. I was thinking of what's going on in our own country. I was worried for us.. I have been trying to understand for quite some time now on where is all the anger and hatred coming from and how or what I could do to help ease the tension..and then we passed by a beautiful cluster of trees. It looks like a little forest. I quickly turned my gaze back to the window and instantly felt calm. Thoughts of home and how lovely we are united as Malaysians came to mind. The trees were all of different shapes, colours and sizes..all blowing in the wind. Dancing to their heart's content. Trying to out do each other reaching for the sun but at the same time, having their roots imbedded deep into the ground, helping each other, protecting each other and living peacefully next to each other. That's what we, Malaysians have been doing all these years anyway. What a powerful way to potray such a quiet and regal existance. I was mesmerized. I couldn't hear the music but there was a lively ochestra playing right before my eyes. I could feel the beat and I wanted to join in. Wait a minute. What am I talking about? I am part of this! Imagine, this must be how the world used to view us as a nation or still do, I hope. I wish you could have seen what I saw and understand what I am trying to say. I felt an instant pride for my country, the country I live in and have grown to love. It is wonderful to be able to share the beauty of it with all of you. We could be so much better if we start once again to learn and understand the meaning of together.

Look at it like this. Let's keep it simple. It's my birthday. I baked a cake. I have 3 children. One is a straight A's student. Another is a lazy bum and the 3rd is a ding dong. Do I love any of them less? NO. They all came out from the same vagina. Do I share my cake with them equally? NO. It depends. I divide not based on how much I love them but what is best for them. One might be hyperactive, so I give him less. Another might hate cakes but I will make sure that he eats some, coz whatever mummy says goes. The other one might get a second helping. Why? Coz someone has to finish it and since he loves it so, why not? At the end of the day, was there any left for me? Maybe not, maybe yes. What does that say about me? Who cares? I can sleep well at night. Can you? Am I doing the right thing? I don't know..but we have all been raised that way all these years and haven't we turned out alright? We may not get what we have always wanted, but we were given what we truly needed and that's what made us who we are today. Was I treated unfairly by my parents? I must be nuts to think so! I am who I am because of them. So what is fair and what is not? I still love my parents and I will always be loyal to my family. They might not be right all the time but they are the reason I know how to think for myself now and with that knowledge, I shall change my world :)

No comments:

Post a Comment