Sunday, December 29, 2013

Salvation Army Xmas Run 2013 ~ Kuching :)




Back in November, three Sarawakian best friends, Fiona A Keith, Fiona Edward and Tracy Beatrice, invited friends over their FB to bring some Christmas cheer for the Salvation Army kids in Kuching, Sarawak. A few mutual friends and I decided to join in the fun. We managed to get some of our family members involved in the planning too. Tracy's mom baked the cake and we got hold of plenty of pre loved stuff including books to be shared. As there were about 39 boys aged 8-18 and 54 girls from infant till 18 years old, we were pretty excited as well as daunted by the task at hand.

After brainstorming for quite a bit, finding out what these kids need or want most ( toiletries, eg: shavers and shaving creams were the biggest wish on the boys side and hairbands on the girls side ) and getting the logistics sorted out, we had to as we are all based in KL, we quietly went our separate ways and started to slowly get the gifts ready and transported to Kuching in time for Xmas. When either one of us were to get a Kuching nightstop, we would drop the items by the concierge and a girlfriend from there will then come over and pick it up from the hotel.

I remember how ridiculous I looked being the only one, lugging my huge check in bag all over the airport ( more than 30 kg full of goodies ) on a domestic sector, question marks written all over my colleagues faces, especially since I wasn't interested in explaining anything, wondering whether I have gone bonkers. It is after all a few days trip around Malaysia and Kuching was only going to be the last night stop before I head home. At one stage, I had to leave my bag at the Lost & Found Department until it was time for me to come and pick it up.

Where there is a will, there is definitely a way. My girlfriends and I have proven that. It was indeed a huge relief when we got to deliver the goodies on time..waiting to be received by its new owners. Unfortunately, not all of us could be there to celebrate the occasion with the children neither did we get to see who received what. The important thing is, they got what they needed. It is the least we could do and being able to be a part of this, was good enough reward for me :)

Even though she was busy organizing her own engagement party to a dashing Malay chap named Azrool, one of my favorite guys to fly with by the way, Tracy aka Tracy Beatrice Aisyah now, still had time to think of the unfortunate. All the best to the both of you and may you continue giving the gift of love, regardless of race or religion..


Here is Fiona A Keith with one of the cheeky orphan boys. She is no longer with MH. She runs an online business for now among other things. You can check it out on www.facebook.com/apparellove


                       Fiona A Keith with Major Selvi, the lady in charge of the girls home


                     Tracy and Fiona with Major Mary Ng, the person in charge of the boy's home.




The lovely couple ~ Michelle Vanessa Lee & Zac Zakir. While the wife sponsored toiletries for the boys, Zac the pilot, chipped in by providing sanitary pads for the girls. Awesome twosome! They had not forgotten my son this Xmas either. They took the time to drop by and pass their gift to Ryan personally a few days before Christmas.You can check her instagram @Vanezzaleecollections. Loads of gorgeous stuff for sale :)




               Nancy G from Hongkong with Love ~ One of our lovely flying Santarinas :)


Not forgetting the other Fiona aka Miss Fiona Edward and future Mrs..Ahem! Ahem!....All the best Fie! God Bless :)

** By the way, there is another Santarina that I have yet to mention. Her name is Seema. Michelle shared the idea with her and she was more than happy to be in the game. Unfortunately, I do not have her picture and neither of them knew that I was going to blog about this earlier :)


Happy New Year Everyone! I had a wonderful Christmas. I hope you did too ...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo lucy estoy conociendo a james me gusta espero no molestar gracias

    ReplyDelete