Sunday, September 15, 2013

#SSNC ~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY MALAYSIA ♥


Where do I start? At the very beginning I guess. There's plenty I should be grateful for. The fact that I was conceived by a Chinese woman and sired by an Indian man is one of them. Growing up as a Muslim child is another. People then assume that I am Malay by virtue of my name. Being Malaysian's awesome! I am so ROJAK to the extent that I cannot take sides! My looks or the way I dress sometimes, can even make me pass off as a refugee or foreign worker. Haha! As proud as I am to be Malaysian, there are times, when it's fun to be thought otherwise. It has come to a stage where taking sides is no longer "cool". When I was about 4, I had to make the toughest decision no 4 year old child should make. Best part is, I did it without even blinking an eye. What made a 4 year old child know the difference between whom to choose? That was easy. I knew who loved me more. Simply put, I felt safe in my mother's embrace compared to my father's touch. Did I choose based on religion, race, gender or looks? NO. At 4 years old, that was not important at all. Totally irrelevant. I chose to trust my heart and used my brains instead. Survival instincts at its best, guiding me through life.

Growing up was a different story. That is when I was introduced to segregation, racism, favoritism and privileges. I was always in between. Either feeling good when I benefited or feeling bad even when I did. That is because, along the way, I also met many beautiful and wonderful people that made me feel welcomed wherever I go and showed me kindness and what true love is. How could I ever take sides? How could I ever claim that I am more this or less that.. I feel for each one of you when you are hurt and my heart leaps with joy each time your heart soars! I have always felt that I am a part of you. The good thing is I couldn't see the difference. Maybe what I'm trying to say sounds alien to you. Let me explain further..I love that we look different, we think different and we behave different. That's what makes it interesting for me but I also know that deep down, I am not alone. My hopes, my fears, my dreams are the same as yours and because of that, I celebrate our differences and I appreciate our similarities! I couldn't have experienced all this in abundance had I not been born and raised here :)

I have decided to include some of my ex colleagues who are now based overseas to Say Something Nice today. They too would like to wish Malaysia a Happy Birthday :)

Shereen Shukri ~ Calgary, Canada


    Mother's Day charity walk in Calgary - Team name, Jalur Gemilang

                                                                   Recent raya photo in Calgary

Name something about Malaysians that you admire the most Shereen?

" Living overseas has changed my perspective towards Malaysians. I really admire the 'unity' and 'bond' among us here despite any race. Whether we are Malay, Chinese or Indian, we view ourselves as only Malaysians. We do have gatherings for our usual festivities for example, 'Hari Raya Aidilfitri' and many more. I realised that we could definitely click with fellow Malaysians even though we just met them for the very first time. The favourite topic would be the things we missed about Malaysia, especially FOOD! No matter where we are, we will never forget our beloved country. The 'One Malaysia' spirit is so strong even when we are far away from our country and I am glad that it is embedded in us. "


Wan Chin ~ White Rock, British Columbia


Wan Chin's daughter & friends
" Hi, Jasmin, thank you for still remembering an old friend living abroad. Time really flies, been here for 5 years, miss Malaysia a lot, my family, my friends, my ex-colleagues, yummy nasi lemak, Assam laksa, satay, roti canai, hainanese chicken rice, candol,ABC, rojak and many many more! Wishing Malaysia a Happy Birthday & A Happy Merdeka day to all Malaysians. "


Satya Sunalini Tharmalingam ~ Brazil



WoW! So different from Ipoh and yet...Do you miss Ipoh, Suna?

"When I think of my hometown, the first thing that strikes my mind would be my mum, my home, my friends and of course Ipoh food. This little city of charm and grace has given me some bitter memories but lots of cheerful, happy and memorable thoughts. East or west Ipoh is still the best. "


Lee Zin Yen ~ Doha


                                                     Home is where the heart is 


Hi Jas! It's good to hear from you. My favourite national costume is the Baju Kebaya coz it looks simple,sexy and elegant :)



Zaharah Ngah ~ Japan


Dina Jasmine & mummy :)


"I am always craving for Malaysian food that I hardly can get / make especially when I'm in Japan. My favourite will be durian, all assorted Malay kuih, traditional malay gulai tempoyak, gulai lemak, rendang lemang and Laksa to name a few. Malaysia is indeed a food Heaven!


Soo Bee Yeoh ~ Dubai UAE " From the bottom of my heart, I am proud to be known as Malaysian. I am proud to tell everyone that I am from Malaysia,. When I go for my briefing before each and every flight, that is how I introduce myself. A word to describe Malaysia to me, would be---> Beautiful "


Jaz Ferhan ~ All over

" Favourite hangout place? Easy! Mine would be One Utama I guess... coz whenever I go there ,with family or/and friends , we go there to watch movies, makan, hang out and to lepak at the bars or restaurants... check out girls... It's where I spend most of my teenage years and when I started work. One Utama had so many other stuff around it like Ikano and The Curve and what not-- so that"s the reason... TTDI is also close :) "
Miami Beach

Motoko Moriguchi ~ Taiwan

Chinese New Year celebration

" It was my dream to become a cabin crew. I met my Malaysian husband - Charles, when I was studying in Melbourne, Australia. He told me a lot about Malaysia. I found it to be a very nice and friendly country. It also gave me a chance to experience a country that has multicultural food, people and history. I married my husband 13 years ago. I felt that if I married with him, I would be able to have great life with him.. that which is correct. "


Gopal Raja ~ Melbourne, Australia

" I am proud being a Malaysian because I learnt tolerance in a multi- cultural setting like Malaysia. Having the ability to speak in various languages is also an asset. Great food from the various cultural kitchens of the Malaysian melting pot and last but not least, the compassionate smile that we Malaysians are naturally born with.


Ng Lay Koon ~ UK


" Hi Jasmin,this is my favourite childhood game - Rubber band rope :)




Jauh di mata, dekat di hati......Malaysia, tanah tempat tumpahnya darah ku..

*Last but not least ~ A picture of ONE of my favourite person ever, whom I have had the opportunity to meet through an FB group :-
Salbiah Haron ~ Ballet teacher
Merdeka Day Parade 2013
"Goose bumps! They put their lives on the line for US!!!! I am sooo proud to be a Malaysian!!!!"

Haha! Thanks Salbiah..I am proud to be Malaysian too :)

Thank you everyone. May you have a wonderful and meaningful Hari Malaysia wherever you are! With lots of love, from me to you ♥

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete