Monday, September 2, 2013

#SSNC ~ Vemanna Appannah



This is Uncle Vem ( that's what I call him ) & I, at Monyet King's home for the Cool and Committed Malaysian Series last year.

I met him for the first time in June of 2012 at KLIA, when I decided to join Monyet King & friends trekking up Mount Rinjani in Lombok, Indonesia. It was indeed an exciting time for me. I went along without any expectations except to get lost in the moment and instead, I came back gaining plenty of new found friends and insight. I didn't know much about any of my other fellow climbers, Vemanna included. He is such a towering figure that I got intimidated just by looking at him from the start. It was not until we landed in Indonesia and his silent protective caring nature that got me seeing him differently later on. Check out the picture below :)

                                                   Am I lucky or what?!

Even after we got home from the trip, I still didn't know much about what he does for a living and I didn't bother finding out. As far as I was concern, I enjoyed having him climb next to me. Up in the mountains, we were like two clowns on a roll.  It was until much later before I found out his story and combined the pieces together. Here's a link to an interview he gave previously that I have had an opportunity to read, not long ago :-

So for the SSNC, I have decided to feature him on my blog. Let others get to know him better and find out what this fellow Malaysian, who is undoubtedly one of us, truly stands for. Here is my mini interview session with him that he has so kindly taken time off to oblige.

Tell me a little bit about yourself.

I come from ACS Sitiawan, born into an Indian Telugu family. My father was a Tamil school teacher and my mother, a housewife. I am the youngest of 4 siblings and I am a practicing Hindu.

* When he first told me that he is an extremely shy person, I couldn't believe it. Now I know why others might think him aloof at the start. I did. According to him, he is a very reserved person but once he is comfortable around you, you'll see that he is the total opposite of what he claims to be. Anyways, I have been told that growing up has been a blessing to him. 

He was born into an Indian family where he spend his teenage years with but right after completing his studies and when both his biological parents had passed on, he was eventually adopted by a kind Catholic Chinese couple, who helped raise and introduce him to their culture as well as values. He felt extremely blessed, for to him, God had provided him with one good family to another. When his adopted father died a few years later, his Chinese mother's cousin, became his father figure. Looking at him and his second family, many thought that he is of mixed parentage, but when he explains that he is a pure Indian boy that was adopted by this family, many were surprised for they can't tell the difference, especially when he has such a close relationship with his mom and siblings. He never felt different. To him, it is a heavenly combination. 

His favourite quote is "our lamps are different, but the light is one". Whether One call's it an oil lamp (hindu & buddhist), pelita (muslim), candle (christian); the light that illuminates from each lamp is the same, our different paths leads to one - "the creator".

When I asked him what it is like being brought up by someone from a different faith, this was his answer :-

 " I go to Hindu temples to fulfill my obligations as a Hindu and never failed to be by Mom's side for every Easter & Christmas in Church and on other important occasions. We have good friends of other faith, and what makes us good friends is being human. Humanity surpasses all belief system and brings us close as one.  This cross border affiliation/alliance is What Malaysia is for me. I feel at home. At the end of the day, this is my homeland. I still love my nasi lemak, teh tarik, char koay teow, tosai & roti canai. "

When I asked him in what way has he benefited from being a Malaysian or contributed towards being a Malaysian? This is what he had to say  :-

" I travel extensively. I have traveled some parts of Asia (Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Israel, Jordan, Nepal, Pakistan, Russia, Singapore), Africa (Egypt, South Africa) & Europe (England, Scotland, Beligium, Czech, France, Vatican City, Switzerland, Austria, German, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Russia).
Travel exposed me to different cultures. Coming from a multiracial country, getting used to culture just becomes second nature. That is what makes us Malaysians strong & unique, "the differences", makes us stand out. When I travel, I share with others that Malaysia is a one-stop-destination. You get all 7 continents in one place. Name it - food, clothes, languages, cultures, people etc. " 

When I asked him about his life's work this is his reply :-

" From being an engineer, my work now has more meaning. I am less stressed these past 13 years since working with MAKNA (the national cancer council).  I meet many survivors and learn their journey. Coming out of cancer is like a new lease on life. Hence I thank my lucky stars for being able to serve the community which came by accident and now has become a part of me.  I engage my outdoor love for sports into creating awareness about cancer and raise funds for cancer.  I  have trekked the Everest Base Camp in 2011 and trekked active volcanoes in Kamchatka, Russia in 2012 ~ all for cancer. The trek for cancer to Kamchatka was tied up with a national appeal and campaign called "Jom Botak", going bald for cancer.  This got our Malaysians standing up for cancer by going bald. It was indeed a very proud moment for me, as over 500 men and women throughout Malaysia went bald in support of those who has won the battle, those still battling it and for those whom we lost in the battle.


                                                Sexy bald men! Ooh la la ~


I then went on to ask him who are normally his fellow trekkers? 

According to him, the treks are mainly done with a group of volunteers made up of Malaysians from different faiths and walks of life. " To me, we are all one, human beings given some time to live on this beautiful earth.  Let us put the time to good practice as much as we can, for we do not know when we need to leave. When our time is up, at least we know that we have made a difference to the many lives that we have touched. "

What is his vision for the future? 

" My quest for our fellow Malaysians in an ongoing feat, cancer never stops, why should I. More so when cancer patients live to tell about their journey. They did not stop fighting cancer, and what is my reason for not helping? None, no reason, so I shall go on."

I asked him what's up, next? He excitedly told me that :-

" On September 22 & 23, I will scale Mount Kinabalu with 2 cancer survivors. One lost his right leg when he was just 17, now he is 23 years old. The other, survived leukemia. There will be 30 volunteers and survivors in total, just for one reason - CANCER.  My appeal & involvement directly benefits poor cancer patients and their families in our country.

Jasmin says ~ I AM SO GRATEFUL THAT I HAVE A FRIEND LIKE YOU UNCLE VEM! YOU MAKE US PROUD :)


View from EBC 2011



     Vem and his EBC team mates 



Before I wrapped up our session, I asked him, what are his parting words? 
" There is so much to do & I can't do it alone. " was how he ended it...


                                    Vemanna Appannah from Russia with love


                                                        Kamchatka, Russia 2012                                                              

                                         At the peak of Mutnovsky Volcanoe


May you continue fighting the good fight. If you are to doubt yourself someday, take heart and turn your head around. WE shall be by your side :)






                                                   



No comments:

Post a Comment