Saturday, September 7, 2013

#SSNC ~ Kechara Soup Kitchen & The Homeless of KL


                                                Kechara Soup Kitchen's T-shirts


Last night was my first experience ever *bringing LOVE to the homeless*. It was truly a humbling and an eye opening experience. Thanks to the Serve Something Nice Campaign, a spin off to the SSNC, I got an opportunity to do so. Eventhough the rain started from late evening and continued with its showers intermittently throughout the night, In total there were nearly about 100 volunteers last night which was more than needed to cover 8 areas.

We arrived at the Kechara headquarters around 1930 and the doors open at 2000. Our first task were to rearrange boxes containing water bottles according to the areas selected and amount needed. It was done in a jiffy! Then came transferring plums into plastic bags after which we were brought a van full of bread & biscuits to be separated into smaller quantities meant for individual distribution. It was amazing to see such wonderful teamwork. Everyone was actually enjoying themselves. The laughter was contagious and the next thing you know, it was time for briefing.


                                                         Thanks for the donations :)


We were sent upstairs for it. One of the best one hour I have ever had! It was highly informative and it gave me an idea on what to expect. The rain was still pouring but I was getting excited by the minute. I would be lying if I were to tell you that I wasn't afraid or nervous. This is not my normal saturday night where I am staying up late partying with a group of close friends. It is a night where I am getting up, close and personal with people who on normal days I would not even spare a thought or turn to look at. I wasn't even sure if I can do it. Would I run from fear and the unknown? Would I wrinkle up my nose in disgust at the first sign of an undesirable smell? Would I be attacked by a weirdo or slapped silly for wanting to help? Would I unintentionally insult them by looking happy and content? Would my dressing turn them off? I already feel bad for having more than the *clients* that I'll be meeting later. Compassion was certainly my main focus and I keep reminding myself to be open and alert.

My team and I were delegated to distribute food at the Chow Kit area. By the time we came downstairs after the briefing, pre packed stacks of fried rice have been placed accordingly for our pick up. We split into 5 different cars bringing the goods with us. At our first stop, the homeless were already queeing up for their meals. No signs of threat and no feelings of negativity. I straight away dived into the task at hand. It was like as if meeting an old friend.An old lady saw me and gave a toothless grin. Her eyes lit up and she said " Laa..dah lama tak nampak! Apa khabar? " I was embarrassed to tell her that this is actually my first time and instead smiled stupidly back. After a while, I got the hang of it and it was like serving my passengers on board. I started making small conversations, smart ones mind you..as I have to keep on reminding myself that these folks can be highly sensitive for they too have pride in them and a history not many knows about.

I came across a mother who has four lovely children from the ages of 13,11,10 and the cutest little 3 year old girl that I can't help but wanting to kiss. None of them are in school. The mom keeps requesting me to encourage her eldest daughter to go back to school. That broke my heart. They became homeless when their house burnt down. I regretted not bringing any childrens books with me for I could have passed it on to them. I would have loved to take photos of these children but we have been advised from the start during briefing, to not do so. Before we left, I gave each a huge hug and a kiss. Even the mother got one. It scares the crap out of me for who knows, this family could have been my son and I. Life is such and they so deserve better.

Our next few stops were different. These are the loners who do not wish to be distubed. They sleep by themselves far away from each other, quietly settled in their own world. I remember looking up at the skyline and saw the KL Tower. It was such a beautiful sight and my heart soared! I hope that at least perhaps they too are able to have their spirits lifted  each time when they are to see such a sight. We approached each carefully and placed their meals next to them. Some were given tee shirts and I saw the team leaders interviewing others. This is mainly for statistical purposes to assist them from getting out of the streets.

There was also a lady who was an ex convict who ended up living on the streets because she was embarrassed to go home for fear of rejection. She lived on the streets for years and became a drug addict. She gave birth and her child is now my son's age. Kechara helped her turn a new leaf and last night was going to be her last night on the streets. She was excited to go home.

We then went off to visit a group of sex workers who were babysitting their friends children and babies while their mothers are at work. Some were shy to even look up at us while others were as friendly as ever. I got to play with some of their children. There were others who were too sick to pick their food up for themselves so their friends came by to do it for them.

I met a chinese old man who is retired, jobless and is now homeless. Since he had no savings and was never married, his home is now the outdoors. I also met a jovial malay guy who speaks a few chinese dialects and even tamil. I could hear and understand his chats with the volunteers from different races. I couldn't help but imagining him an asset in the airlines for his PR and fluency in languages. They was also a sweet incident where an Indian homeless guy couldn't stop advising one of our volunteers who nearly slipped and fell while distributing food, to be extra careful and vigilant of the slippery floor. It was like a father caring for his daughter.

I am glad I went last night. From wanting to help all these years to finally being able to put it into action, is empowering. I salute all those who have been doing this consistently, day in and day out throughout the years. To the ones that have made it possible by donating money, expertise and in kind, I can only pray that your good deeds may someday be returned tenfold. To all the unfortunate souls out there, may they feel God's love working through you ♥





No comments:

Post a Comment