Monday, September 9, 2013

#SSNC ~ Sonia Johan




Meet Sonia Johan. A Dive Master who was an ex Air Asia flight stewardess. We met quite some time ago, while I was in Tioman for my dives. I was fascinated by her. She reminds me of the Malaysian version of Halle Berry. She's also a joy to watch, underwater. Gorgeous, smart and in control. She makes diving look effortless!

                                                     Cool, calm & collected...

Here's the dive shop info where she works at :  www.azmidivetioman.com. email nxbakri@azmidivetioman.com, sonia@azmidivetioman.com. number to call is 0133882438. Azmi Dive is a locally owned dive centre that's located at Salang beach and Panuba Inn in Tioman. They offer PADI dive courses and dive trips.


                           
Sonia's been a darling. I invited her to share with us her story and she has agreed to let us have a peek into her world. I hope that her story would be able to inspire others to follow their dreams. To let go of other people's expectations of you and instead, do what you love best...

                                                    

                                                          
Sonia's words ~

" I was born and raised in JB. My dad's a dentist and mum's a retired nurse. I'm the only child in the family, but that's alright, I had my pets as companion. I love animals, on my fourth birthday, I asked my dad for a crocodile, I cried when he said no."

                                                      A cat at Salang Beach

" I was a very shy kid, but turned into the total opposite when I got into high school, and I gave my parents quite a headache too! haha... I am blessed to have family and friends that loves and supports me through my ups and downs. they have been my backbone and inspiration. "


" After high school I studied hotel management and tourism. After graduating I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. My parents were the ones who encouraged me to join AA so I decided to give it a shot. Parents knows best, I enjoyed flying! I met great people, learnt things about myself and others I never knew. It made me independent and wiser in some ways. Sad to hear misconceptions some people have on cabin crew. Some don't understand the importance and responsibilities the person serving them coffee or tea carries. "



" Leaving AA was a sad time for me as I had made really good friends who were like family but I was also excited about the next adventurous chapter of my life which I was actually not certain where it was going to take me. My parents were sceptical and not very keen on my decision to leave but I convinced them, that I needed to do this. I've heard stories of people turning their hobby into their job. and I wanted to do just that. I needed to do something that makes me content and I'm an easy going person and wants to be in a lifestyle that suited me. "



" There have been good and bad experiences while flying, but they are good memories now. The fear when the aircraft had a problem, or when the weather was bad, the many characters of passengers we dealt with, the fierce seniors, the fun times we had on board, the places we could go... when I think back now, I cant help but smile. Oh ya, and not forgetting getting all dolled up for work, I miss that. "



" My love for diving started when my best friends and I went on short trip to Tioman. We tried diving and got hooked! The feeling of being surrounded by all things beautiful underwater and the sense of adventure captivated us. We came back to Tioman a month later to do our open water course and never looked back ever since. It became my hobby while I was still flying. So it was not so difficult to decide what I wanted to do after I left AA. "

                                                      Lebaran Aidilfitri Dive 

" After I left AA, I did my dive master course with instructor Syah, who has helped me in diving and given me good advice right from the start. I was offered to be a DM right after at Azmi Dive by my bosses Azmi and Xyman. "


" Being a DM has some similarities with being a cabin crew. We are responsible for our customer's safety while ensuring they have a good flight or dive. We are who they turn to when divers or passengers have a problem. The best part of diving for me, is how close we get to nature, the feel of water on me, the fishes swimming by. Lets just say I love working under pressure. "


" The beauty of the the underwater world is amazing! and it's also therapeutic, makes you calm and relaxed. You tend to forget what goes on above and focus on your breathing and what swims by you. I love to see happy faces after guiding divers on their dives. it gives me satisfaction. So I try giving them a good time underwater. Every dive is different, sea condition varies, and marine life are abundant here in Tioman, you will not know what you are going to encounter. That's what makes diving interesting. "



" Working in an all male environment can be quite challenging. You somehow have to keep up with them. but I told myself, if I were going to do this, move to the island, and do it full time, I have to stop complaining, toughen myself up and just go for it. It's tools and tanks for me now. I left the good pay, luxuries and comfort of home and city life for the sun, sand and sea, what I love best. "


" My parents were worried at first when I told them that I was going to move to the island, their only child, being a girl, and me having a job that requires physical strength. I told them to not worry, and Tioman is not that far away from home. I can and will manage. I want them to be proud of me, and I have proved to them that I survived this mostly male dominated industry. "



" Being based on one of the world's most beautiful island has made me become a prouder Malaysian. People from all walks of life, countries and cultures come to Tioman to enjoy nature at its best. My hopes and dreams are for one day to become a dive instructor and be able to expose people to the wonders of the deep blue sea whilst at the same time to educate people to be more environmentally cautious. "



" I would also like girls to be more confident in their decisions. You will never know till you give it a try. Don't be afraid to do the things you love. There will be people who would try to stop you, but at the end of the day, it's you who makes the call. Don't worry about falling, you can always get up again. I've had people ask, why am I doing what I'm doing, and wasting my womanhood for this life, but it has not at all made me any less of a woman. I still enjoy shopping, my manicures and pedicures but I've become braver than I have ever been before in my life. "

                                          Underwater photography by Scuba Jeff


* Thank you Sonia :)

**Here's a picture of my family & I having fun in Salang, Tioman :)


If you are to visit this beautiful paradise someday, do drop by & and say hello to Sonia ♥

1 comment:

  1. The PADI Divemaster course is the first level of the PADI Professional ratings. As a Padi Divemaster you will hold the minimum rating for employment in the diving industry

    ReplyDelete