Friday, September 13, 2013

#SSNC ~ Me & My Punjabi Friend ( Ajit Pall Singh Sidhu )


The hardest person to get hold of. He asked me whether I'd be okay with a press kit and I'm like, SAY WHAT? He's either out of the country flying, Dj-ing, recording or performing. I assumed that he'd be happy that I was planning to write about him, instead he got all shy and freaked out. I found it funny. I have known Ajit for a few years now. The first time we flew together, it was a Kota Baru night stop and he was the one who freaked me out! Super direct, he asked me for my number straight away. I didn't know how to handle that. I was flattered but I wasn't used to such an approach especially from someone younger. I told him that I'll only give it to him if we ever get to fly together again..He agreed and said, " Well at least I tried. The shy ones will never get anywhere. " I had to admire his confidence. True enough, we did fly together again ~ A year later. Since I'm a woman of my word, I gave him my number and from then on, we have kept in touch over the years and I have watched him grow from a distance. He has a *reputation* to keep, haha especially among the girls..so I shall not divulge much on what a sweetheart he truly is ;) I promised that I'll keep it short and not too sweet!


First one up. Ajit & his niece. Btw, did you know that he spends quite an amount of quality time tutoring the little and not so little ones? :)


Tell us a little bit about yourself Ajit

Well, my name is Ajit Pall Singh Sidhu. Born in Kuala Lumpur on the 1st of Dec 1986 to Punjabi parents. My initial life was spent around Selangor, growing up in Taman Tun, Kelana Jaya, Pj, Selayang and then finally I shifted to Ipoh. My initial schooling was in Sri Inai Pj till I finished standard 5. After which I left to Ipoh and had to re-sit std 5 as I was under age to sit for UPSR. ( transferred from a Private school to a government school ). In Ipoh I grew up with my grandparents (paternal side). She took care of my food and welfare. My education was handled by my dad's sister. My parents divorced at that time and we siblings decided to stay with my grandma (known as dadi in punjabi). I studied at Cator Avenue Primary School and then Anderson Ipoh during my secondary years. I was a reasonably naughty child during my youth yet still loved by my teachers. ( I think so.. haha)... Played cricket for my school, Perak state U-15, U-18, U-21, Sukma and Open Category. I was eventually put under the listing to undergo selection for the Malaysian U-15 team but due to studies I didn't join. After finishing my secondary school, I came back to KL and did my A-Levels at Sunway College. Upon completing my A-Levels, I applied to join Malaysia Airlines and under the scholarship programme I got selected and was sent to Bankstown, Sydney to complete my PPL (Private Pilots License) and then finished my CPL( Commercial Pilots License) and ATPL (Airline Transport Pilot License) in Kota Bharu, Kelantan. After which, I joined MAS in May 2007 and till now I have been a part of the airline. Spending 3.5 years on the B737-400 and now presently just over a year on the A330-300 series.

When you think about your hometown, what's the first thing that comes to mind?

When I think about Ipoh, the first thing that comes to mind is the food. I mean who doesn't think about food when its IPOH!! haha. The variety of dishes that is available and the taste is beyond comparison. I definitely recommend the 'Ngah Choi Kai', (my all time favourite). Besides that, childhood memories are and will always be there. Good times.

Being quite the lover boy that most thinks he is, I had to ask him this question ~ Who's the greatest woman in your life?

Ajit & his grandma's eldest sister. His Dadi is camera shy :)


The greatest woman in my life... Hmmm I would not restrict it to one but 2 people. That would be my grandma (Dadi) and my aunt (Phua) from my dad's side. The way they guided me through my childhood in terms of health, education I couldn't ask for more. My grandma literally had to go through a second parenthood of getting up early at 5am to get me ready for school, iron my clothes, wash em, cook for me, feed me (yes she *fed me* till I was form 3, I was a fussy eater back then). I was considered my aunt's son as she never had a child and she used to cart me around for school, tuition, sit with me and teach me and made sure I was studying. Till today, since I'm staying alone, my grandma will cook and keep the dishes in the freezer so I can heat my meals when I feel like having em. and my aunt together with the maid will clean up my house. (They travel from Ipoh to KL together and they are 80 and 60 plus respectively) :))


                                    Ajit welcoming his brother in law into the family

                                                                               
Whom do you most look up to, Ajit?

Hmmm.... there are many people that can come to mind, but the person I really look up to is my dad. I know normally most people would say like 'Aahh thats the standard answer' but in my case yeah it is, my dad. Now why do I say so, well first off during my childhood days I used to remember my dad coming back from work (he too is a Pilot) and even though he is tired he would never hesitate to play sports with me and my sisters, take us for walks in the jungle etc.  Even my best childhood memory till today was the both of us playing Super Mario on my Nintendo. Haha. Besides that, he sacrificed his family and social life in Malaysia and everything else to educate me and my sisters when the 1996 share market bubble, burst. He lost a lot of money and had to leave Malaysia Airlines and Malaysia as he had been offered the Vice President post in Jet Airways which offered him a really good pay. With that sacrifice he left the country for over 17 years and would come down like once in 6 months. So it was hard for him and us as he could not spend that much time with us anymore. Without my dad doing that, my sisters and I wouldn't have had a proper education, be where and what we are today nor have a reasonable life of luxury, which till today I can never be thankful enough for it. He is a very hardworking man, (something which I haven't really inherited YET), always working and thinking of various business ideas. He is very classy, intelligent, stylish and looked upon by many. Last but not least, why I really look up to my dad is because he came from a poor family in Buntong, Ipoh. He worked and studied hard earning himself scholarships in school all the way till he got the job as a pilot and with his pilot's salary he brought his family out of poverty. My grandma will always tell me stories about my dad's childhood. I try to be half the man that he was and is but still find it difficult. Even though today we have slight differences over small things but I still enjoy my occasional dinner and drink sessions with my dad. :)


                                                              Father & Son :)

* By the way, I think Ajit's doing quite well following in his father's footsteps. Their dreams might be different but their goals are the same. I remember what a good son he is..his off days were spent helping his dad out at their office quite often too. I don't think many is aware of that.


                                He plays football with his team whenever he has the time


Was flying something you have always wanted to do?

Yes flying has always been my main ambition. Every time I used to go to the airport to receive my dad, and see his lifestyle I knew flying was the one thing I wanted to do. Especially when I once flew on his flight to USA when I was 6 years old on the B747-400. Oh that was the moment I knew what I wanted to become. Surprisingly my dad and family was not really supportive about it. My family and teachers encouraged me to do medicine, my dad wanted me to enter the world of finance, so I had my dad's brother send in my application quietly. Haha, dad wasn't too happy initially when he found out I got selected. Lol.


What is he up to nowadays? Well, besides flying, he Dj's, performs on stage as part of a duo, under the name of ME & MY PUNJABI FRIEND as well as owns a DJ academy called Premier DJ Academy :)

                                          He's the director of Prodigy Lab


His latest baby



                                                        Music runs through his veins



                                                       They call him Jiggyjit



                                                      PESSA was their first :)


                                                                  Here it is :)



Here are some of the rest :)


A world of difference, from a Pilot to a Hip Hop Star :)



               What a small world. This is where he met Uncle Vem! Jom Botak campaign :)


His latest performance ~ NAAM MALAYSIA released on the 30th of August by Prodigy Lab & DopeBoyzMusic! It's a wonderful unity song. Very Malaysian. You can check it out on youtube :)



No comments:

Post a Comment