Thursday, September 12, 2013

#SSNC ~ Jemaimah Mustapha



                                    VIVA PALESTINA ~ Putrajaya with Jem & friends..

I met Jemma at a charity bazaar. ( Hot Air Balloon Siesta, Putrajaya ). I was the odd one out. I came by one day, volunteering my services to a bunch of strangers and a cause I wasn't familiar with. All I knew was, that I had nothing else better to do that day and since I had free time, might as well do something meaningful about it. A friend of a friend had recommended that I help out that day, but the funny part is, I never did get to meet her, as she couldn't make it at the very last minute. However, since I was already there, I decided to make myself useful. I remember stopping by at the booth, greeting them awkwardly and told them of my intentions. At first everyone was a little reserved. I requested for information. I had to know what I am getting myself into. Only then, will I be able to be of help. They immediately gave me a crash course on the plight of the people of Gaza and the next thing you know, I was walking with an empty transparent plastic box all over the festival area asking for donations. I had to do something. Since, not many were stopping by the booth to purchase the memorabilia, I went looking for them :) They sent a bodyguard in the form of a lovely Libran girl to keep me company but I think it was their way of keeping an eye on me, just incase I was a nutcase that might abscond with the money collected, hehe.. but I am sure that I had taught her a thing or two that day, from following me around in the hot sun. Asking for donations is easy but that is even hard for some. Getting one to donate willingly to a cause that they are not familiar with, is not. The stewardess in me kicked in. We came back with a box full of money and from then on, I must have won their hearts. Too bad that I wasn't able to assist more often due to logistics but I did enjoy my experience, kept in touch with them through FB and kept myself updated by reading Jemma's blog at  http://jem-jemslife.blogspot.com/. That's also when I got to know her better, admired her dedication towards the people of Palestine and envied her for her deep courage as well as passion for humanity. She's like the Angelina Jolie of my life :)



Children at the camp in South Lebanon. You can see their living conditions in the background



Here's what Jemma has to share with our readers about being a part of us :)

Looking back on my life that has mostly been spent in KL since moving here 20 years ago, I never thought I would get to where I am now and how much you can change as a person due to the people you meet and making home where your heart is. I may be born and bred in Britain for my early childhood but I believe making the decision to stay in KL during the years that define who you are (your 20s) was the best decision I made. In the last four years I became a humanitarian activist, joined different NGOs to create awareness and help those in need, especially with refugees and the Palestinian people, and became interested in politics. I got involved in all of this due to the attack on Gaza back in 2008/2009.  When I saw on live news coverage what was going on, it tore me up inside that I had to do something. A friend of mine gave me a leaflet about a local NGO that was a coalition of many NGOs trying to help the plight of the Palestinian people and started working with them. Through them and the people you meet, they have helped to mold me even more to the person I want to be and bring out the passion that can help push you through the days you feel helpless. Plus doing all my university studies here have truly been interesting and rewarding. A lot of people I meet always wonder why I chose to stay in KL instead of going back to the UK. I always reply it doesn't matter where you are. What matters is what you do with what you have learnt, especially from the people around you.



After our Putrajaya meet, I remember Jem telling me about her wanting to go to Lebanon to help out. Here's what she has to share about her experience over there... 

I've also had the privilege of going to Lebanon twice where I had the experience of meeting Palestinian refugees. There are no words to describe these refugee camps. What touched me though was the children who would walk beside you with big smiles on their faces wanting you to take photos of them and the grand-mothers who stopped you just to shake your hand and say thank you. Just someone from the outside community who wanted to know their story was enough to keep their spirit of never giving up. Their strength truly inspire me.


                               Children from one of the camps I visited in South Lebanon

I even had one of my dreams come true, which was to participate on a convoy to try and deliver much needed humanitarian aid to Gaza. Unfortunately due to political issues and lack of support, we were unable to get into Gaza but I made it a point to take as much as I could, including a brand new laptop and camera, books for the children and £500 to the CFTA NGO representative from Gaza in Egypt. It was a challenging time, especially when you are stuck in Jordan not knowing what is going to happen, but the people I met inspired me more to keep on going and I was very lucky to have one of my best friends to give me the support I really needed.

                                         Jem and the women of VP6 Convoy to Gaza


 Jem & her bestfriend with their van and the list of supporters who helped make the trip possible


                                               Her convoy family for 6 weeks

Life is one tough battle everyone has to face and I always feel guilty about complaining on what happens in my life when I am surrounded by those who have it worse. 

 Group photo of Jem with fellow activists and friends at a memorial site dedicated to those who had been killed by Israeli snipers during a peaceful demonstration at the border to create awareness about the Nakba. The youngest was an 8 year old.


Jem's truly a gem! I have secretly admired her over the years for that big heart of hers. She does things that I can only dream of. I travel the world for pleasure and most of the time for free, she on the other hand, travels halfway across the world to make a difference in a cause that she believes in without giving up hope on making sure that she gets the proper funding to get there. While most people her age would be out partying and having a good time, she chooses to educate herself, be where it matters most and share her love as well as time, with the ones who truly needs and deserves it best. That's how amazing she is!


This is her sharing her innermost feelings with us..It takes plenty of effort to stay positive, for being transparent and forever grateful. 

I lost my mother after her 21 year struggle with stage 4 ovarian cancer, just like others I know have lost their parents in different ways. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, just like many others with more severe illnesses. But I believe through all the hardships that I have faced and seen, I was meant to be in this country.


                      Her wonderful mixed Eurasian family just before her dear mum passed on


                Passionate activists from different Malaysian NGOs who became her friends

HOME is where the heart is, Jem's thoughts ~

I have met so many courageous and inspiring people from all over the world that I would not have been able to, if I had not been here. But most importantly I have the most wonderful people in the world who are there with me every step of the challenging ways.


                                   Supporting Malaysian friends that supported the cause


                                                           Uni friends for life


                                 Wonderful Birthday Surprises With the Best of Friends

What Malaysia means to her..

 
                                              Jem with dad and her sister DD :)


This is the country that I finally fell in love with, when I was supposed to leave it for uni. I may not be a Malaysian citizen, but the half Malaysian blood that runs through me makes me know that I made the right choices, with a life with no regrets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment